Susie's Blog

Susie Jennings is the founder and president of Operation Care Dallas, Inc. A non-profit organization whose purpose is ministering to the homeless people in Dallas,TX. To find out more about Operation Care Dallas, visit www.operationcaredallas.org

Monday, October 22, 2007

God Orchestrated Day

I had an incredibly God orchestrated day I will always remember.

It started on a Saturday morning. I barely had five hours of sleep, but I got up and spent an hour in prayer, because there is power and strength in prayer. It is a preening process, just as eagles oil their feathers with their beaks for an hour every morning before soaring in the winds. We need to be like eagles!

MIRACLES:

1. We did not have a confirmation at Dallas Life to use their room for our Board Meeting. Friday night I told Board Member, Michelle Maroon, about it. I thought I had emailed or left a message with Bob at Dallas Life, but when I checked my email I could not find it. I was praying that there would be no activity in that room.
When I got there, Michelle had already arrived. Praise God we were able to use the room. I was concerned, but I had turned it over during my prayer time that morning and believing...

2. After the meeting I went to take pictures of the homeless in the street and was about to go home when the Lord redirected me to the Day Resource Center. After I had handed out about 10 blankets a homeless lady who looked very familiar asked me how she could volunteer. She said she had been trying to help for almost four years, but because she stayed in a shelter she was not allowed to volunteer for Christmas Gift.
I just sensed her sincerity and care. I told her she could volunteer this time. So she became my instant volunteer and friend. She followed me everywhere and became my on-hand photographer. She did not even eat lunch, but stayed with me.

3. There was another guy who badly needed a pair of pants. I called my father-in-law, Charles, and he brought a pair of pants along with more clothes. Well, I had fun giving it away. Thank God for my wonderful father-in-law who is like a Boy Scout, "Be Prepared!"

4. I then met an amputee recently released from prison. I asked him what I could do for him. He said, "I need to call my family so I can go home." I tried to give him a blanket, but he said, "No, I really need a phone." I ran to my car and gave him my phone so he could call his mom. I also talked to her. I took his picture while he talked with her. HE GOT REUNITED WITH HIS MOM OVER THE PHONE. His name is Garrett. He is going home tomorrow on a bus with a ticket his family is sending him. Praise God!
He introduced me to his friend, Theo, who was carrying his food. Theo looked normal but could not run. He is also an amputee, but wears a prosthesis. What a friend.
Garrett asked if I had a white t-shirt. He needed one. They did not give him any extra clothes when he came out of prison. So my new friend, Marina, and I drove to the nearest CVS Pharmacy in downtown. I bought them 2 XXL t-shirts.

5. Marina and I found a Greek restaurant that was open. There Marina told me her story and how she has loved the homeless ever since she was seven years old. She would watch the trains passing and once saw a homeless Hobo. She asked her father, a minister, if they could take the Hobo home with them. She asked the homeless Hobo and he went home with them for the weekend. Now Marina, a widow, became homeless herself because of some unfortunate situation. The homeless call her Mama because she is a good resource for them; she is smart and a leader. I told her she is now an ambassador for Operation Care. She is the Voice of Operation Care in the streets of Dallas. What a heart!

6. While eating, the Lord prodded me to ask the waitress if she knew where she would go when she died. She answered, "Hell!" Well, that got me excited! I had someone to share Jesus with that afternoon! Her name is Carla and she was mad with God because her mom had just died. Nobody was in the restaurant but myself, Marina, Carla AND the Holy Spirit!
I shared with her about Jesus and that Jesus is the only way. To make a long story short, she prayed the sinner's prayer and her countenance changed. After the prayer she said, "I feel good!" Then when I asked where she is going after she dies, she said, "Heaven!" The heavens rejoiceth for one sinner who repenteth.
Marina told her about Christmas Gift 2007 and invited her to join. Well, our new friend and sister in the Lord, Carla, became an instant volunteer. She said she would bring her family.
I told Carla that Marina is homeless. Carla then told Marina to come to the restaurant every morning and she will give her breakfast! WOW! What a provision. Jehovah Jireh!
The gift goes on...We went to buy 2 t-shirts; we ended up in a restaurant where Carla got saved and now will provide breakfast for Marina.

7. When we got back to the Day Resource Center, Tyrone and Debbie, a new homeless couple asked for help in finding the Austin Street Shelter. My new friend, Marina, and I drove them to the shelter. We were late; the door was closed. So we prayed for God's help. After the prayer, Tyrone and Debbie knocked on the door and the door OPENED. Jesus once again answered our prayer because we believe that there is power in prayers.

8. We went back again to the Day Resource Center and I stayed and talked to the homeless about Jesus. I was so comfortable with them that I did not want to go home.

9. PRAISE GOD, I stayed in the streets for eight hours with my homeless friends and enjoyed every moment with them. Left my house for the Board meeting at 7:30, got home at 7:30 p.m.

I could say I had a very blessed day! How about naming our November 17th event at the Day Resource Center OPERATION: CALL HOME?

The theme for Christmas Gift 2007 is Re-uniting the Family: A Christmas to Remember

We need 1,000 pastors for our evangelism team. So calling all the pastors to spend at least an hour or two at the Convention Center to help our homeless friends. Please tell all the pastors you know!!!

Empty financially but happy spiritually,
Susie

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Patsy said...

What an amazing person you are! You are truly a women after our Father's own Heart. Thank-you for dying to the flesh and showing us how to truly have Life. You are such a Beautiful person, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you and will lift you in my prayer. Christ has brought you here and will meet every need and desire He has placed in your heart. ~Blessing beyond measure Dear~

December 16, 2007 at 2:09 AM  
Blogger FELY DAVID said...

I was at the CPU University Church today and heard your testimony. I was blessed. I was in the campus yesterday and saw the miracle, children wearing happy faces as they tried their new shoes, and excitedly examined their new toys, proudly wearing their new read shirts. What a faith you have! Your story touched me as I felt every word of the song we sang with you.
To God be the glory for people like you. We will pray for you. God speed.

Fely David
Dean, School of Graduate Studies
CPU
July 6, 2008

July 6, 2008 at 2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home