Susie's Blog

Susie Jennings is the founder and president of Operation Care Dallas, Inc. A non-profit organization whose purpose is ministering to the homeless people in Dallas,TX. To find out more about Operation Care Dallas, visit www.operationcaredallas.org

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Seeing The Hands And Feet of God At The Homeless Camp

The Lord has been placing in my heart the need and desire to really spend time with the homeless at their campsite (First Presbyterian Church). Last Sunday night (Oct. 21) after our Launching of Operation Care, I ended up at the camp where Marina sleeps every night. I spent time with the homeless, just talked to them and prayed with them and they really appreciated my presence. Some of them knew me already. They call me Miss Susie and I feel at home with them.

Last Oct. 26th, Friday night, I went back to the homeless camp after work (11:00 p.m.) to take some clothes to Marina, my new friend. I stayed there past midnight, just talking to Marina and other homeless.
It is like home to me!

At about 12:30 a.m. (Saturday), Barry, the security guard, introduced me to Emily. She was walking alone so I asked her if she was by herself. She said she was with a group from Christ for the Nation School and Heartland Church in Irving. They were giving away sandwiches and blankets. This group goes downtown every Friday night. The group arrived and I thanked them and also mentioned to them about Operation Care-Christmas Gift 2007. They want to participate and were very excited.

After that, a young man said. "Susie, we need to pray for you. The Lord is also saying that you will reach the end of the cliff but do not worry. Just leap, God is going to be with you." LEAP OF FAITH!!!

Wow, that was a prophesy to me and a confirmation. We should not worry; God is with us.

After they prayed for me, they went to the camp and gave away some sandwiches and the one that moved me so much was a young man who took off his sweater and covered a homeless man lying on the ground with no blanket. THAT WAS THE HANDS OF GOD COVERING THE HOMELESS. It left an indelible imprint in my heart and mind. The young man ended with only a thin t-shirt and it was pretty cold. He was the Good Samaritan described in the Bible. I will never forget what I saw that night, a beautiful sight of God's compassion to the homeless through His people.

Well, last Sunday night (Oct. 28th), I went back to the camp for the third time in a week bringing some hamburgers that I gathered from the First Baptist Dallas Homecoming Party. Robert, from the kitchen, gave them to me after the party. I told him I wanted to give it to my homeless friends. He allowed me to get a sack full of hot dogs and hamburgers. I then saw Kerry, one of our volunteers, and his friend and asked them to go with me.

We went to the camp and there, I met six teenagers/young men. Marina gave them the hamburgers. They were all lying on the steps of the church separated from the group of homeless men and women. I stayed to talk and get to know them. One teenager's mother was murdered. One said his mother is in jail. One had just got out of jail because of drugs. One said he is a runaway. They said they are not on drugs and wanted to separate themselves from the adult group because some of the adults are using drugs.

It broke my heart to hear their stories. We formed a circle and I prayed for each one by name, Robert (18), Stephanie, Joel (just got out of prison), Jonathan (just got out of prison), Henry, and Brandon (19). Brandon will turn 20 this Friday.

When I was talking to them, I started crying and Robert said, "Do you need a HUG?" Wow, it really touched me. These teenagers who needed much love are the ones offering love.

When I was about to leave, Robert asked, "Could we pray for you?" I said, "Yes!!!" So we gathered in circle again and each one prayed for me asking God to help me raise money so they could have a party at the Convention Center on Dec. 15th and that I could help them. The steps of the First Presbyterian Church became Holy Ground where the voices of these young people were petitioning God for His help. I pray that God will answer our prayers, in His perfect time! These young people love the Lord and need help.

They even said, "We wish there was a house where we all could stay, we will all work and pay the bills." These young men and young woman have their own dreams to get out of homelessness. The question is: HOW CAN WE HELP THEM?

On Friday evening (Nov. 2nd), I will go back there at 11:00 p.m. with a folding table and ice cream, cake, chips/dips (from Connie), McDonald hamburgers, balloons, blowers and birthday hats. We will have a Birthday party for Brandon. I asked him what he wants, he said, "Just a pair of pants. I only have one!"
Well, Connie will give him brand new pants. Thank you, Connie Dunkin (Operation Care Board member).
I need sleeping bags and blankets, if you have any to spare!

I encouraged them to go to the shelters but all of them said they preferred to be together to protect each other.

What I experienced being with these homeless friends has changed me more. Building a relationship and making a difference has a deeper meaning to me now. I could not wait to go back there on Friday evening after work. Please pray for me that I will have wisdom and strength to do all of this in Jesus name!

This is my story.

Because of Him,
Susie

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susie, My wife and have just recently partnered with with helping the homeless. We bot have hearts for the homeless.
You are a great lady. I know that you take no praise for what you do. The Lord is using you in a great way and all is to praise him. You need to know that it is ok to to let people pat you on the back. God does not give everybody your gift. You are very special.

November 25, 2008 at 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home