Susie's Blog

Susie Jennings is the founder and president of Operation Care Dallas, Inc. A non-profit organization whose purpose is ministering to the homeless people in Dallas,TX. To find out more about Operation Care Dallas, visit www.operationcaredallas.org

Monday, December 10, 2007

UNFORGETTABLE!

I slept among 100+ homeless! Not until I was there myself did I realize the depth of their needs...

Last October, while driving through downtown Dallas with a homeless lady, the Lord spoke in my heart to spend a night with them to get a glimpse of what they continually experience so that I will understand more their way of life.

It became a reality on November 3rd when I took a big step and drove to downtown in a wig, an old t-shirt and pants, a tote where I had my pen, camera, phone, wallet and notebook.

My experiences with them:
  • Fun with the homeless young people.
  • Falling in line for food and clothing.
  • Love, concern and protection from our homeless young friends.
  • Walking aimlessly - no purpose - no direction!
  • Being offered protection by 2 men in exchange for physical returns.
  • Marriage proposal from a homeless man.
  • Getting cardboard boxes from a dumpster for my bed.
  • Cold, hard cement under by back.
  • Slept right next to a snoring woman high on drugs.
  • A drug dealer came at 2:30 a.m. and handed a woman some drugs.
  • Fear of being burned, stabbed, robbed and raped - fear for my life!
  • Using portable potty with "floating stuff" in it.
  • Sleepless cold night, longing for my bed and staring at the stars.
  • Ordered to get out of our "sleeping camp" at 5:15 a.m.!
  • Grateful for daylight. Morning has broken!
  • Shower with black mold on the ceiling.
  • Waited for food and hoping it will come soon.
  • The best part was the coming of a church young adult group at 12:30 a.m.
  • They brought sandwiches and prayed with us! They become the Light in that dark place.

IT CHANGED MY LIFE!

The first part of the evening was all fun! But listening to the stories of their individual "journeys" was both interesting and heartbreaking. I suddenly realized that there are much, much deeper troubles and tribulations that these homeless ones are tackling in their daily walk. Though I faced laughing countenances, I saw in their eyes loneliness, pain, suffering, and fears of what is to come. Now I have more respect for them. I want to reach out even more and help them choose a different route in life - a life with JESUS, a life filled with HOPE and LOVE.

Friends, I need YOU to help make this a reality. Open your HEARTS and reach out. HELP OUR HOMELESS! Operation Care + YOU = Number that matters to Dallas and Jesus!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger ourcalling.org said...

susie,
here are a few pictures from your night out:

http://www.ourcalling.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/susie1.JPG

http://www.ourcalling.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/susie2.JPG

~wayne

February 15, 2008 at 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home